The Surrey School District offers an elementary band program available to all Grade 7 (and in special cases Grades 5/6) students. It is the first step in a 6 year consecutive band program offered by the district. Band is a child-centered program with the intention of developing individual and group music skills, opportunities for performances, and appreciation of the performing arts.
- Band happens twice a week for a total of 100 minutes (50 minutes per class). Schedule found here.
- Students are expected to acquire their own instrument. If this is not possible, please contact me immediately.
- Practice at home is the best (as fastest!) way to improve band skills. It is recommended that students play their instrument as often as possible. Even 10 minutes a day will make a huge difference!
- PLEASE do not rent or purchase an instrument until instructed to do so. Many factors, such as lip size, teeth shape, braces, and hand size affect the suitability of an instrument. I will take the time to assess each of these to help student's choose the instrument on which they can be successful.
- Students may play any of the following instruments: Flute, Clarinet, Alto and Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Baritone, and Percussion.
Click here for band related documents