- Rent or rent-to-own a new instrument: Rental from a music company is the method most recommended by your band teacher. A substantial portion of the rent will be applied to the purchase price if you decide to buy the instrument at a later date. You may rent directly from the music store of your choice (list at bottom).
- Purchase a new or used instrument from a music store: Purchasing outright is the least expensive means of buying an instrument in the long run, although it does not provide as much flexibility as renting.
- Purchase used instruments from private party: Sometimes bargains can be found, but be wary; in almost every case they require servicing! Please make certain it is services early in September.
- Borrow: Once again, be wary; a borrowed instrument almost always needs servicing. Please have it services early in September.
- Purchase from a non-music store: Recently, non-music stores have been offering some band instruments fro sale. These instruments are usually less expensive than those found at music stores, but the quality of the instrument is often inferior. Students usually find these instruments very difficult to play properly and they are often difficult, if not impossible, to repair. The school district highly recommends that you rent or purchase instruments from a reputable music store.
- Rental Prices: The price for rental varies depending on several factors and is often cheaper if you pay for the whole year in advance. Prices for new instrument rental are typically as follows: Flutes/Clarinets/Trumpets/Trombones - $12 - $23/month. Snare Drum Kits - $12-$20/month. Saxophones/Baritones - $22 - $50/month. Lower prices are for used instruments.
It is highly recommended that you do not rent or buy any instrument until your child has consulted with the Grade 7 band director.
The following companies are Surrey companies that are expected to provide good quality instruments, reasonable prices and respectful service to Surrey students.